Sunday, July 24, 2016

Hey Girlfriend!

Hey Girlfriend!

Yes … I've changed my greeting from "Happy *insert day of the week here*" to "Hey Girlfriend".  As I messaged my friend, Sara, yesterday … when I blog it really is like I'm talking to a friend but in typed version.  When I wrote my first two posts of this blog Sara was the friend I was "talking to" and I expect that will continue for a while.  Some days that may change.  Some days I may be "talking" to Wanda … or Heather … or Leighla … or Ann.  Marianne, Helen, Casey or Darlene.  Candice, Rayna, Karen or Lisa.  So many of you love me, support me and inspire me for different reasons and in different ways.  You are often in my head "talking to me" at some time or another.  YOU are who I am talking to.  You, and other women I have never met.  The women I may be able to inspire in some way.  The women who may identify with my life, my hangups or my quirky ways.  YOU are the ones who have convinced me (FINALLY!) that I'm ok just they way I am.  It is YOUR love and support that has shaken me free from the grips of the dieting constraints.  From realizing my value and self worth are NOT determined by the size of my thighs.  From constantly comparing myself to others and feeling unworthy and bad about myself .

"I don't give  DAMN about your size.  I just want you to be healthy and happy"
"I didn't know you when you were a size 8 and I love you just the way you are"
"You inspire me"
"I admire you and often wish I were more like you"
"I love you"

These things you have said really have hit home.  I'm finally hearing you.

These posts are directed at all of you.  So "Hey Girlfirend!" just seems to work :)

People often tell me they enjoy reading my blogs because its like a conversation.  It IS.  I'm just "typing out loud".  Good thing I can type fast!  OK … let's get this conversation started!  (see, this is my favourite kind of conversation - the kind where I (as usual) do all the talking for the first 30 minutes and you can't get a word in edgewise *lol* - if you want to say anything you have to leave a comment at the end!)

"So how did yesterday go?", I hear you cry.  Well … pretty damned good, thank you very much!  Drank my water and got more movement in.  Did I do my dancing with Alicia?  No I did not.  But that's ok!  I was flexible!  I tried something new - I "went with the flow" … and went swimming!

Now anyone who knows me well knows I think I was a cat in a previous life.  I am NOT a fan of water.  I hate taking baths (aside from me not knowing how to relax and do nothing but stare at my naked self for half an hour, the idea of soaking in my own filth KINDA grosses me out!), I HATE getting my face wet (no word of a lie I think I washed my face maybe 10 times before the age of 30!) I'm not a strong swimmer and my bathing suit is too tight (actually all FOUR of my bathings suits are too tight!)  So for me to go swimming is a bit of a big deal.

The girls wanted to go swimming.  I said I would take them.  I then thought "if they are swimming when will I dance with them?"  So I decided I'd go swimming too.  They were shocked *lol*.  I had the BEST time!  The pool was ridiculously dead.  I guess everyone was at K Days!  We stayed for 2 hours.  For at least half of that time I consciously treaded water, did knee kicks, pull ups on the side and/or balanced on a floaty board (that really worked my core!).  It was a great way to get in some movement without putting stress on my feet.  Did I mention my foot problems?  Don't think so.  In a nutshell I have Plantars Facititous (or something like that).  Essentially the fascia in my heels/ankles/feet are super messed up and walking is very painful.  I've managed to get by with insoles in my runners and am doing  few more things to "get better".  Since my walking has gone from an hour and about 5,500 steps each morning has gone down to 15 minutes and 2,000 steps I was thrilled to be able to get more movement into my day.  Added bonus - I got to have fun with the girls, who are not QUITE at the "don't be seen with me in pubic" stage *lol*.

When I wasn't exercising in the pool I was in the hot tub with the strongest water jet I could find pounding on my heel, ankle and/or calf.  It hurt like hell but hopefully it helped loosen things up a little more. Again.  Baby steps, right?

So yesterday was a success.  Oh, and yes, I tracked all my food.  Every bite.  I'm not obsessing over calories - I just need to make sure I keep my eye on the ball.  As I've said, if I'm not actively dieting I'm actively gaining.  By that I mean I very much have to do things consciously or my subconscious takes over.  I will mindlessly nibble, munch and grab food all day long if I'm not careful.  So yes, I had my dinner and then Craig offered me one of his chicken wings.  I thought about it, checked the calorie count (60 calories for one!) and then consciously decided yes, I wanted it and yes, I accounted for it in my food log.  My general calorie target is between 1,200 and 1,500 calories.  At least "Just for this WEEK".  I will reassess accordingly next week.

OK - let's wrap this up …

There are a few changes I want to be fairly permanent (but we'll say Just for This Week so I don't overcommit).  I won't write them down daily but I do expect myself to do them.

  • drink 2.5 litres of water
  • take my vitamins
  • track my food in My Fitness Pal

Just for Today I …

  • will have a protein shake for breakfast
  • will do my Pilates Butt and Thigh DVD.  
  • will look myself in the eyes and smile every time I look in the mirror (try this!  It can be weirdly uncomfortable the first few times but it has an amazing affect on your day!)

I was scrolling through Facebook this morning and came across a video a friend posted from a site called "The Law of Attraction".  They have FB site.  You can check that out here.

I couldn't get a link to post the video … so I took screen shots of it and thought I'd share them with you.












That's it for today.  I'm off to walk the dog.  Believe you are awesome.  Only if it's Just for Today.  Love you Girlfriend xo


Tam

No comments:

Post a Comment