Saturday, July 23, 2016

More Water, Please!

Happy Saturday!

Well!  What a difference a day makes.

WTH is it about "just doing it" that changes your entire mind set?  What is it about CHOOSING that is just so darned EMPOWERING??

Yesterday was no different than any other day, really.  I woke up with a sore back.  I fed the cat.  I walked the dog.  I marvelled at how kids can sleep for 12 hours straight without having to pee.  I made my bed.  I cleaned a cupboard.  Nothing particularly exciting in The World of Tamara.

But one thing WAS different.  My mind set.  Seriously.  Just CHOOSING to be healthy - JUST FOR TODAY - changed my entire aura and resulted in a great, happy day.  I felt like I had lost 10 pounds of mental baggage.

I had a reasonable breakfast.  2 eggs, 1/2 c egg whites in a tsp of butter and a coffee with a little cream.

I had a yummy lunch.  1/2 white kidney beans, 16 grape tomatoes, cucumber, romaine lettuce, 30 g of light feta cheese and 2 Tbsp of light Greek feta dressing (I usually use chick peas but alas I was out!!)

I had a healthy snack - a red pepper and 2 chunks of cauliflower.

I had a light dinner.  1/4 c jasmine rice.  4 oz grilled chicken breast.  1 c roasted broccoli and 1/4 c Butter Chicken sauce.

I had a LIMITED evening snack.  1 nectarine and 2 c Boom Chicka Pop popcorn (that stuff is so freaking yummy - and only 70 calories for 2 cups!)

I drank over 2 litres of water.

I was satisfied, never hungry and conscious that had I not been doing this "just for today" I would have eaten two or THREE times as much as I did at dinner.  I know myself.  It wouldn't have been pretty … and then I would have beat myself up for it.  "Just for Today" had me happy to leave the table not stuffed, but totally satisfied.

Yay me!

Yesterday's "Just for Today" was to drink 2 litres of water.  Nailed it.  It was also to eat 1,200 calories.  Ummmm …. CRUSHED it *lol*

My Fitness Pal says if I eat like that for 5 weeks I'll be under 180 pounds.  Really?  Ok - that would be great! … I guess.  Sure, it would feel great to see a lower number .. but really, I'm SO done with numbers!  I just want my bra to be looser at this stage.  Seriously!  Although Craig LOVES when I gain weight because the "girls" are "everywhere" … I'm not a fan!  My cup runneth over and really, aside from being binding, cutting and uncomfortable, that is NOT a good look!  (sorry Huney - they have to go!)

Speaking of numbers (numbers on the scale, numbers on the tags) do you REALIZE just how ridiculous and arbitrary they are?  I went shopping last week.  Additionelle.  Yup - I finally stepped into that store about a month ago.  Best.  Decision.  Ever!  (* Warning - tangent rambling ahead*)

So last month was Mom's 75th birthday.  We were all going out to Jubultions Theatre.  As usual, a few days before hand I realized I had nothing to wear.  Nothing except my jeans fit … and even then "fit" was a bit of a stretch.  They covered my body - let's leave it at that, shall we??

So I gritted my teeth and told Craig I was going shopping.  Was going to hit my usual, Old Navy, Winners, Mark's.  Then I gave my head a shake and realized going to the same old store would have the same old result.  Depression and anger and self defamation.  I realized I wouldn't find anything that fit me properly, I would come home empty handed and likely stop off at Dairy Queen for a Skor Blizzard trying to convince myself that I didn't care how I looked and that it would be socially acceptable to wear a black garbage bag to dinner.

So I changed my plan.  Again - Dr. Phil and his "How's that working for ya" came into my head.  (Don't know why that always resinates with me.  I seriously haven't watched Dr. Phil in 9 YEARS!)  Anyway - I digress from my digression ….

Rather than doing the same behaviour and expecting different results (isn't that the definition of "crazy"??)  I changed my plan.  I would NOT go to my usual self-esteem-sucking stores.  I would go to Additionelle.  Sigh.  Yes, I would wave the white flag of defeat.  I would enter the store for the fat girls.  

As soon as I made that CHOICE you know what happened?  I was excited!  I was actually looking FORWARD to shopping!

Well!  Let's just say I had he Best.  Time.  Ever.

Seriously.

I had a ball!

I even, at one point, thought "awww - I wish I was bigger so I could fit this top".  ???!!!  Right??  Crazy!  I tried on dress after dress, shirt after shirt … and I was spoiled for choice!  OMG how liberating to have CHOICES of things to buy and not have to settle for things that just cover your bits!  I tried on blouses that looked so good!  They accentuated my curves, they sat where they were SUPPOSED to sit, they flattered my body.  Holy shit balls!  I thought I had died and gone to Heaven!

I bought a dress that I felt so PRETTY in!  Do you know how long it has been since I felt pretty???  Geez.  It was truly life altering Gals.  Life.  Altering.

I left smiling, bags in hand and couldn't wait to go back another day for more shopping.

Oh!  Right!  The point of my tangent!  LOL - I'm so easily distracted by my own stories and excitement …
Right!  Numbers and the ridiculous, arbitrariness (that's a word??  Must be - didn't spell check on me!) of them all.  I went back to Additionelle last week and tried on several tops that were a size 14.  Some of them were a mile too big.  However ONE of the tops I bought was a 2X.  A 2X!!!!!  WTF????  OK - I'll admit I'm not petite but a 2X???!!! I seriously laughed.  I was GLAD it was a 2X because it just drilled the point home, once AGAIN, that all these numbers are complete and utter bull shit.  2X.  Seriously.

SO!  Thank you very much, My Fitness Pal, for saying I'll be down 15 pounds in 5 weeks.  That's great.  Whatever.  It's a number.  I'd prefer if it said "If every day were like today in 5 weeks you'd feel AWESOME - full of energy and with 2% less body fat, making you stronger and healthier!"  I'll take THAT message away instead!

Right - enough rambling for today.  Koda wants his walk so let's wrap this up, shall we?

Yesterday it was quite easy to drink 2 litres of water.  I thought that was a reasonable amount for me to drink to get hydrated.  Alas this morning the bright yellow toilet water tells me it wasn't enough …so …

JUST FOR TODAY I:

  • will drink 2.5 litres of water
  • will take my vitamins (that I haven't taken in about 2 months)
  • will track every morsel that goes in my mouth



  • I will do ONE "Let's Dance 2016" Wii dance with Alicia
My feet still won't let me walk very far, and I do have to be careful not to overdo it but I think I can manage one dance, if it is mainly upper body movements.  I can move my body a little more than usual … Just for Today ;)

Choosing.  SO empowering. 

Chose to have a healthy day My Friends.  Love you!


Tam

No comments:

Post a Comment