Wednesday, July 27, 2016

WTH Do I Choose Today??

Morning Girlfriend!

Ya know - I gotta say.  I've only been blogging for, what 6 days, but it feels a heck of a lot longer!  I'm already scared I'm going to run out of things to say … but Wanda assures me THAT won't happen.  (Hmmmm - I'm sure she meant that in a good way, right?? *lol*)

I'll start off this post by saying yesterday was an EPIC WIN on the whole "choice" thing.  I seriously surprised myself on that one!

It was a loooooong day.  You would think I went on a 20 km hike the way my body ached after a full day of nuthin.  Seriously!  It had me questioning if I was 49 or 94!  5 HOURS and 177.7 km of driving yesterday running the kids to 3 different dentist appointments on opposite ends of town.  I don't know which body part was more pissed at me - my back, my ass or my knees!  Now!  I'm not saying this to be a big whiny pants - I'm actually turning it into a positive.  It's just one more sign that I need to keep doing what I'm doing to be a healthier, better version of myself moving forward.  I'm WAY too young to feel this old.  Truth be told I've only been feeling like this for the last few months.  Hmmmmm - coincidence that it's been the last 2-3 months that I've put on another 10 pounds?  Me thinks not!  So - THANK YOU UNIVERSE for sending me all the aches and pains lately.  I get the message!  (Now if you could please stop it I'd appreciate it!)

Annnnnnnyyyyyy howwwwwwwww - back to my original ramble - I spent from 9:50 am until 3:00 pm in the car or in a dentist office.  As "being gone all day" was on the radar (see yesterday's post) I MADE THE CHOICE to plan ahead!  Nailed it!

I had 2 eggs and 1/2 c of egg whites for breakfast (good shot of protein to fill me up) and half a litre of water.  Took another half litre of water with me … along with a banana (gag), an orange pepper (yum) and some left over chicken breast in calorie free dressing (weird but yummy!).  I wasn't even TEMPTED to have one of Rebecca's McDonald's fries and I was so proud of myself :)

The key really was to be prepared!  Again - EPIC WIN!  It just makes sense!  HAVE healthy snacks in the fridge ready to grab instead of the crackers or chips when you are STARVING but don't have time to make something.  Grabbing a cut up pepper is a quick as grabbing a high calorie, sugar laden granola bar!  Be prepared!  I was REALLY glad that the other night I cooked up extra chicken breast to have on hand when I was grabbing things with 5 minutes to spare before we had to leave!  I certainly didn't have time to start COOKING a chicken breast.  I had it, threw it in a baggie and off I went!  On a Sunday I like to cook up a pot of quinoa so I can quickly grab 1/2 cup and throw it in my salad … or have with my eggs.  Its SUCH a good carb - and good protein!  Just be prepared.

**  Warning - tangent ahead …

I NEVER thought I would be "one of those banana toting freaks".  Yes - we've all seen them - and I've always considered them abnormal!  Who throws a beat up banana in their purse to eat at the airport??  Or at the mall?  Or at a bus stop?  Freaks!  … or so I always thought.   I guess I'm one of them now :(  Yesterday I officially PACKED a banana.  Sigh.  But in my defence, I didn't throw it "unprotected" in my purse - I draw the line at that!  If I so much as SEE a bruise on my banana I gag!  Tupperware banana case is the only way I'll even consider having a banana leave the house on my person!

**  We now return you to your originally scheduled ramble ...

So yes, yesterday was a challenge - but I conquered it by being prepared.

Today may be an even bigger challenge.

I'm taking the girls to K-Days.  I seriously don't know what to "choose - Just for Today".  Do I give myself permission to "completely enjoy" - it's only one day - eat what you want?  Or do I choose to only pack healthy snacks because "once I have one mini donut 17 more are sure to follow"?  Or do I choose some happy medium - permission to eat 3 mini donuts but take a protein bar and almonds as well.  I just don't know.  I'm leaning toward the last one … but really … I'm not sure how it's going to play out.  My defences will be down.  The ids will be eating junk, the smells will be everywhere and I'll be hungry.

But now I'm questioning ... are the mini donuts REALLY that good?  Do I really WANT them?  Never REALLY questioned that before.  It's always been more of a "We're at KDays and we ALWAYS have mini donut at KDays" kind of a thing.  It's tradition!

Maybe I'll choose NOT to have them this year.  Maybe I'll choose to have a corn on the cob instead … yes, dripping in butter but surely a cob of corn is healthier than sugar donuts …. hmmmm I'm seriously going to have to think about that one …

So!  Nothing too earth shattering or inspirational for you today - just lots of thinking out loud, really (but tune in soon as I've been drafting a "comparing yourself to others" post for a few days now … just need to find 2 hours to type it!).    But let's do this so I can get showered and get on with the fun …

Just for Today I Choose To …

  • Drink 1 litre of water before leaving the house
  • Take a protein bar with me
  • Take my Brita filter water bottle with me
  • Take some peppers with me
  • THINK about what I put in your mouth before I do so.  
    • Do I really WANT that?
    • If I DO choose to eat something "less than healthy" I will know that it was a conscious decision TO eat it and I will not feel guilty about it - in fact I won't give it a second thought
    • If I DO choose to eat it I will STOP and consciously eat (i.e. stop and savour the flavours!) and truly ENJOY it - not just mindlessly popping things in my mouth while walking and talking.
  • Not count every calorie but try to make reasonable choices
Did any of that make sense?  Reading it back the whole post comes off very disjointed and hard to follow … maybe I just need another coffee ….

Anyway - not gunna lie - today scares me you guys!  Wish me luck!  I'll check in tomorrow to let you know how it went!

xoxox


Tam

No comments:

Post a Comment