Monday, August 8, 2016

A Good Save

Hey Girlfriend,

Sorry I didn't post yesterday … kinda forgot after posting twice Saturday!

As always the weekend was a bit of a challenge for me eating wise.  More relaxed than during the week as I don't log my food (on My Fitness Pal).  I just find it "too much" on weekends.  During the week I find it quite easy to eat "clean".  I cook plain food with little or no sauces to complicate the calorie / recipe logging process.  Weekends aren't so smooth.  Craig usually does the cooking on weekends (lucky me!) and he uses a lot of marinades and sauces (likely why the kids like his cooking better than mine!).  So weekends I slide a bit … and that's just fine with me.  My goal is to eat like a reasonable human being 5 days a week and then I can enjoy a little more on weekends.  Gotta admit, though, last week I enjoyed during the week too.  A small bowl of ice cream most nights seemed to be the norm.  Ok, it's summer … but that's gotta stop.  The goal isn't necessarily to lose weight but at bare minimum it's not to GAIN weight!

I had a good save yesterday which was the slight slap I needed.

I had a HUGE bunch of 2 eggs, 1/2 c of egg whites and lots of my roasted vegetables from the other night (still LOTS left!!) in an omelette.  VERY satisfying and VERY filling.  About 1.5 hours later the girls came down and made some Ichiban Noodle soup.  I have a love/hate relationship with that stuff.  I absolutely LOVE it but recognize that it is total crap and nutritionally void in everyday.  Carbs, fat and SALT.  It really is nothing more than a gut filler.  Might as well eat rocks for all the nutritional value you get from it.  Nonetheless I buy it as yes, the kids love it.  Rebecca ate about half of hers and announced she was full.  As always, she asked "Mom - do you want it?"  I looked at - thought about it for a second and said "ya, OK".  Craig - who RARELY says ANYthing about what I do or don't eat, or about how much I eat, says "you don't need that garbage.  It's total crap".

I looked at it - realized not only was he absolutely right but that I wasn't even hungry.  Once again I was about to mindlessly put food in my mouth because a) it tastes good and b) I hate wasting food (although really this stuff shouldn't even be classified AS food!).  I said "You're right.  No thanks - throw it down the drain" … and she did.  I later thanked Craig for the "save" and for making me aware.  Other woman may have been offended … and if I hd been in a different mood I may have been too but wasn't.  His comment came from a place of love … and maybe some frustration.  Maybe he's tired of hearing me put myself down, complaining about my weight but then continuing to put garbage in my mouth!  He certainly isn't the poster by for healthy eating himself but I know he wasn't judging or being critical - he was just giving me the gentle reminder (slap?) I needed …. and I was grateful.

Back on track today.  We are on vacation Saturday so this is when I traditionally start the "Meh - holiday in a week so I'll be eating badly then - why not start now" mentality.  Not this time.  I still have 5 days to enjoy healthy food and my fridge is full of it!  It helps that I don't like throwing away food so …

Just for today I choose to …

  • log everything that goes in my mouth
  • NOT have ice cream
  • eat between 1,200 - 1,300 calories
  • drink 2.5 litres of water
That's all I can commit to for now - anything more is a bonus but I have a SUPER busy day today so want to keep it manageable.  I'd love to do my pilates video as well so that will be in the background … won't commit to it but just may squeeze it in before my chiro appointment for my foot (it's SO much better since my first one I can't wait to go again!)

So that's it for now (yes, it's 3:03 am …. couldn't sleep … perhaps I can get a few hours in before the kids wake up!)

TTYT.  Love you Girlfriend!


Tam

No comments:

Post a Comment