Monday, August 1, 2016

Back to Basics

Hey Girlfriend!

Happy long weekend!

Today I'm grumpy.  Big old whiny pants over here and feeling sorry for myself.  My feet are fucking KILLING me!!!!  Geeeeeeezzz!  I don't know exactly what happened yesterday to result in this kind of nonsense today but suffice it to say I am NOT a happy bunny!  The only thing I can think of was my water intake.  There was very little of that yesterday, after a solid 10 days of drinking 2.5 litres everyday.  It somehow fell off my radar what with going to the movies right after walking Koda and all.  I had a coffee in the morning, coffee at the theatre (along with the Boom Chicka Pop 140 calories of popcorn I brought with me - yay me!) and MAYBE a litre of water all day.  Obviously not good enough 'cause today my feet are flipping me the middle toe!  Today I'm going to see if my chiro/massage office is open to at least MAKE an appointment … then I'll limp off to the store to buy some tape to try to get some relief.  Aside fem the feet themselves everything else is getting messed up - my sciatic is killing me, my left knee feels twisted and my hips ache.  Obviously all this limping is affecting everything so I have to get over myself and get professional help.  YOu KNOW how much I love being told what to do.  Grrrrrrrr.

OK - enough self pity.  Time to change the attitude.  I'm lucky to have such a minor problem.  As I was gingerly walking down the movie theatre stairs yesterday I had a glimpse of what it must feel like to have a permanent disability/mobility issue and was grateful.  This can be fixed.  Others aren't so lucky.  So Big Girl Panties will be well and truly in place today as I suck it up and deal with it like an adult.  Get the help I need.

Now!  Back to yesterday.  I was SO proud of myself at the movies!  I went knowing I might get hungry, since we left at 11:30 am and all I had to eat so far was my yoghurt, berries and hemp hearts.  I had planned ahead and brought my own, healthy, popcorn and water but sure enough, as we approached the theatre I knew I was hungry … and 4 cups of popcorn wasn't gunna cut it.  I wanted a coffee for my "treat" (rather than candy or theatre popcorn) so Craig went through the McDonald's drive thu.  HE was hungry too … and ordered a burger.  **insert whimper here**.  I stayed the course … and as I reached into my purse for a few kernels of popcorn I spied a PROTEIN BAR!  Ska-wheel! I was so excited *lol*.  Never been that happy to see THAT kind of food before!

As Becca and Craig munched on their theatre popcorn and sugary drinks I VERY happily nibbled my bar and drank my coffee.  I THOROUGHLY enjoyed my healthy popcorn and was just SO proud of myself for the "win" of the day.

Dinner was ANOTHER "win".  Craig and Becca had grilled cheese sandwiches for dinner.  I truly WANTED spaghetti squash (weird, right??).  I kept looking for something else to have, as the squash would take about 20 minutes to cook.  Heaven forBID, right??  Instant gratification.  I'm all over THAT! … or at least I was in the past.  I repeated to myself (for the millionth time this week) "it's OK to be hungry!".  I took out that squash and my fancy new pressure cooker and half an hour later I had the BEST dinner - spaghetti squash (cooked and then fried in garlic and a little butter) with 2 eggs and half a cup of egg whites, salt and pepper.  It was SOOOOO good … yes, I think I'll have it again fro breakfast.  Seriously yummy!

Naturally by 8:30 pm I was hungry again.  No problem!  I've got this!  Two rice cakes (stale as all hell but oh well!) with 2 Tbsp of peanut butter.  Freaking delicious.  My total calories for the day came in at 1,277.  Remember the goal was 1,300.  NAILED it!

TOTALLY successful day - except for the water.  So … let's get back to basics ….

Just For Today I Choose to …

  • drink 2.5 litres of water
  • work on stretching / massaging my feet and legs
Nothing too grandiose.  Small, achievable goals today.  It doesn't feel like I'm stretching myself as much as I probably should but my body, and mind, are tired today.  So Just For Today I'm going to respect that and take a step back.  You don't have to achieve miles in the marathon everyday - just have to make sure you are still moving forward … or at very least not sliding backwards.  It's ok to maintain … even if it's Just For Today.

Have a great day - love you Grilfriend!


Tam

P.S. - Here are some of my meals lately …
My spaghetti squash / eggs …
Corn, sugar snap peas, tomato salad ...

 Chicken and vegetable rice wraps with peppers ...
Cucumber, onions, radishes and cottage cheese ...

It's easier that I thought to eat clean!  Just gotta get away from the "fast and easy"mentality.  It's OK to have vegetables as a snack!


No comments:

Post a Comment