Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Eat that Frog!

Hey Girlfriend!

MAN I'm in a great mood today!  It's a great-mood-hangover from yesterday!  SUCH a great day I had!

After a LOVELY start to the day having coffee and a LIVE chat I ran a few errands before returning to "the slug people" as I like to call the girls.  I was thrilled that they were up before the crack of noon … and were even DRESSED! *lol*  I had hoped they had eaten something relatively healthy (or NORMAL!) for brunch alas their grand creation was chips and salsa!  LMAO.  Kids!  Well - I guess it's better than chocolate chips!  hee hee.

After I had a bite to eat (zucchini omelette!) I checked my phone messages and found I had a message.  Rewind … background story …

Last month when I was toying with starting this blog …and my journey to a better me in 50 weeks … I knew I wanted to push my limits.  Grow.  Learn.  Leave my comfort zone.  I'd been "comfortable" for too long and I felt like the gerbil on the wheel.  Going nowhere, bored, lacking purpose …

Part of this journey is to leave the comfort zone … so that's what I decided to do.

I wanted to push my stamping business in a bit of a different direction.  I still want to do clubs and classes but I also want to share what I love with others.  I wanted to meet new people and reach new customers but without doing the traditional home parties.  I wanted more from my business but, up until now, haven't been willing to do what needs to be done to grow it.

I saw a message on the Stampin' Up! website for their Business Development Program.  They were accepting applicants.  I've been in the program before - about 5 years ago and decided to apply for another round.  Essentially SU assigns you a coach.  They call you every two weeks and help you achieve what you want to achieve.  I knew I needed the program.  I've had LOTS of grey ideas to grow my business but I just haven't ACTED on them.  I need to push myself and I need to be accountable to do the things I say I want to do.  I applied.  I was accepted.   I had my first call last week.  One of the goals I wanted to achieve was to get into some Senior Care Facilities and help the residents get their pictures into albums.  Project Life.  I don't want to do so in order to make a million dollars or get new customers per se … I just want to volunteer and help people document their lives.  As my parents age I realize how important that is.  Seems everyone has a shoebox of pictures with no names, dates or information on the back.  What happens to these pictures when the owner pass away???  I hate the thought of finding a box like this in my parents' basement one day.

My coach set the goal for me to "get 'er done".  Ugh.  I DREADED making the cold call.  I was SO busy!  *insert eye roll and sarcasm here*.  That's the problem - I've been "SO busy" for about 8 months now … and I haven't done what I want to do!  WTF was the big deal???  Since we are heading on holiday Saturday I needed to make that call SOON … and then it happened.  I had about 15 things on my to-do list.  THAT'S when I work best  No time to think - just DO!  I googled the Senior Facility and dialled the number, not even knowing what I was going to say.  I was all hyped up.  It rang .. and rang .. and rang.  I got the answering machine.  Sigh.  I hung up.  Didn't leave a message.

Chicken shit.

I tried half an hour later.  Machine again.  Sigh again.  This time I LEFT a message.  Yay me!  Not gunna lie  - I was kinda glad when no one called me back.  Oh well!  Did what I said I was gunna do!  Coach can't say I didn't try! *lol*

So!  Back to our story … so I come home yesterday and there's a message on my phone.  They had called me back.  Ok.  I can do this.  Picked up the phone and dialled … and got through to who I needed to talk to.

This is where I need to give myself a serious slap.  WTF was holding me back???  I had a LOVELY conversation with a LOVELY young lady who was new to the job.  She LOVED my idea and was HAPPY to meet with me to show her what I had in mind and go through the fine details!

I ATE THAT BIG UGLY FROG AND IT TASTED GREAT!  (Craig was confused by my "I ate a frog today" text … so in case you, too, don't *get* it …" How do you eat a frog?  One bite at a time … "and it's best to eat the biggest, ugliest frog on our plate first thing in the morning so it's done, out of your way and your biggest obstacle is over with - the rest of the day ROCKS!)

Once I hung up I was seriously on top of the world!  I was excited, energized, proud, happy, full of ideas … WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG??  Why was I fearing rejection so much?  What was the WROST that could have happened?  They may have said "no thanks".  And??  Life would not have ended!  What would happen if they said "yes, please"?  Well … now I know!

So I ate the frog, I moved myself forward and it feels fanTASTIC!  Did I drink my 1.5 litres of water yesterday?  Nope.  Was yesterday a success?  Yup.  It's not all about food and exercise.  It's about being a better me.  I'm a better me this morning than I was yesterday morning.  Will I try to move forward a little more today than yesterday?  Yup.  Maybe I'll get that water in yet :)

Love you Girlfriend.  Have a FAB day!


Tam


No comments:

Post a Comment